Hudson’s Town Hall located at 481 main Road is finally undergoing some much needed repairs to its front entrance. Work began about two weeks ago on the little red brick building that has housed the Town Hall offices since 1905. The building was originally built in 1904 by local contractor Jules Seguin at a cost of $2,669.00. The land had been purchased for $1.00 from the wealthy local landowner and future Mayor of the Village of Hudson, Mr. John MacNaughten. Thus the Town Hall’s official name is “MacNaughten Hall”. On each side of the front door there is a brass plaque that was installed by the Hudson Historical Society a few years ago attesting to the historical fact of its official title.
Photograph taken by Linda May www.maysstudio.com
The original building had a wooden staircase but these were replaced many years ago, possible in 1918 when the last major exterior renovations were made. It is not known who built the existing flagstone stairs. Whomever it was definitely knew what he was doing. The current staircase is made of Quarry Point stone and these have weathered many a winter and the cement bonding them together has deteriorated beyond the point of no return. The use of salt on the stairs has caused the problem. A master stone mason, a Mr. Plamondon, will be diligently working to rebuild the stairs all the while trying to reuse as much of the original stone as possible. Excavation work done the Les Champs de Reves of St. Lazare has uncovered a well built staircase underneath the outer layer. The wooden pillars and portico roof will also be replaced in the upcoming weeks as they are also in rough shape. The left pillar is very rotten and in danger of falling down.
Visitors to the Hudson Town Hall must now use the rear entrance off of the parking lot, actually the door leading into Mayor Elizabeth Corker’s office!
As an added historical note, many of the old-timers of Hudson will remember the Hudson Town Hall as the original “Community Centre” where movies were shown, before the Royal Theatre was built, theatrical plays were held there as well has community suppers and euchre parties. It also housed the Village jail for both the Hudson and Hudson Heights Police forces. (a small basement room with a wooden door and a window with steel bars)
During the 1950s and 1960s there was an air raid siren on the roof that was blown each night of the week at 9 pm indicating the local curfew. It was removed in the mid-1980s, having last been blown to call out the Hudson Volunteer Fire Department to help at the Bourget College Fire in Rigaud.